PJ Green, Inc., the leading variable printing and mailing firm in Central New York, was established in 1928 by Philip J. “PJ” Green as PJ Green Advertising Service. PJ, his wife, Anna Mae, and their five children began the business in the garage of the family home on Albany Street in Utica.
PJ began his career by delivering advertising circulars and promotional items door-to-door. Soon he was able to process mailed advertising and other forms of volume distribution.
As the firm continued to grow, PJ’s sons, Terry and Pat, joined their father and the company soon became incorporated. PJ ran the business for more than fifty years until his death in 1982. Terry succeeded his father as president and Pat as vice president and a second production facility was added in Syracuse that same year.
To accommodate their continued growth, in 1987 the company moved into a four-story, 125,000 square foot facility on Whitesboro Street in Utica. The main production facility and corporate offices remain at this location today, while a third office was opened in Albany in 2009. Terry and Pat continued to build the family business until their untimely deaths. After Terry’s passing in 1990, the family and employees were committed to keeping the company intact. Four of Terry’s children still operate the business today.
The new millennium brought diversification to PJ Green when the company purchased the Town Crier, a ‘good news’ publication serving the residents of nearby communities. Since the purchase, circulation and content has more than doubled. PJ Green further expanded during this time by adding graphic design, integrated marketing, variable printing and promotional products to their service offerings. With the recent addition of PJ’s great-grandchildren, the company is now a fourth generation family business.
In keeping with the family culture, many employees have over twenty years of service. PJ Green is poised to continue its success by providing innovative solutions for its clients and by retaining its dedicated employees.